Does a Home Warranty cover Water and Sewer Lines?
My grandmother used to say, “You never know how good things are ‘til they are gone.” When it comes to your appliances and home systems working properly, this is so true. We all rely upon our water running, our dishwasher washing and our heat warming.
And while we all take our essential home infrastructure for granted, a homeowner can be unsure how to proceed when things go wrong. Fortunately, you can be prepared with a home repair plan that includes provisions for covered repairs of your water line or clogged sewer line.
Water and Sewer coverage 101
Before you decide on a home repair plan or home warranty, it's always important to know exactly what a given plan will offer you in terms of repair coverage for different systems and appliances.
According to Consumer Reports.org, it is fairly common for a home repair or home warranty plan that addresses household infrastructure to include provisions for repairs to the internal plumbing, as it's one of any home's critical systems along with the electrical wiring and water heater. But coverage for indoor plumbing does not always mean that the water and sewer lines - which run underground from the outskirts of your house's foundation to the municipal pipes underneath all of the nearby streets - are necessarily covered.
Along similar lines, if you have a septic tank to handle your home's wastewater instead of being connected to your city's sewer-line network, be sure to check if the tank and the pipes that connect it to your internal plumbing are covered. Some plans that might cover exterior water and sewer lines won't be adaptable to homes that use septic systems.
Additionally, keep in mind that homeowner’s insurance will often only be of help if your plumbing, water or sewer lines suffered sudden and catastrophic damage, according to Policygenius.
Line-specific plans from HomeServe
By turning to HomeServe, you can find yourself a number of different home repair plan options to protect your water and sewer lines. First off, there are plans that cover individual aspects of the exterior plumbing:
- Sewer/septic line coverage: With this plan, the essential steps for finding and repairing a problematic sewer or septic line are covered - replacement or repair of pipes, seals and joints, unblocking, fusing, welding, pipe-cutting, valve-fitting and restoration of any exterior home areas disturbed by the repair process.
- Water line coverage: Everything described above, but for the water line instead.
Noteworthy combo plans
You can have a more comprehensive plan from HomeServe via these options:
- Exterior Pipe Plan: Kill two birds with one stone through this coverage plan, providing $10,000 in annual cost allowance for water and sewer line repairs.
- Complete Plumbing: Add protection for your interior plumbing, gas line and water heater to water and sewer line coverage with this warranty, also offering $10,000 in annual benefits ($2,500 maximum per system).
- Premium Home Protection: For peace of mind, choose the Premium Home Protection Plan, addressing everything noted above as well as electrical and HVAC coverage ($10,000 annual benefit, $2,500 maximum per system).
Being prepared for plumbing, water line, sewer line and other household breakdowns is always a smart choice. Learn more on how home repair plans from HomeServe can help you the costs of covered repairs.