Here's How to Change the Direction the Door Swings on Your Washer and Dryer
In many homes, washers and dryers are tucked away in small laundry rooms, where space efficiency is a must. Having appliances with reversible-swing doors can make them easier to access.
This May Also Interest You: How to Move Your Washing Machine
If you have a reversible-door washer and dryer, you can change the direction the door swings quickly and easily. Here's how to reverse a washer or dryer door on several popular appliance brands.
Are All Washing Machine and Dryer Doors Reversible?
Most dryer doors are reversible, but front-loading washers typically have locking mechanisms with electrical parts that can’t be changed to reorient the swing of the door.
Do Any Front-Load Washers Have Reversible Doors?
Only a few manufacturers, including GE, LG and Electrolux, currently offer reversible-door washers. Popular brands, such as Samsung, still don’t offer models with the option for washer-door reversal.
How Do You Switch the Side Your Reversible-Door Washer Opens on?
If you have a front-load washer with a reversible door, it's generally simple to change its orientation. For most brands, the only tool you'll need is a Phillips-head screwdriver.
Safety should always come first. Before working on any electrical appliance, turn it off, unplug it and consult the owner’s manual for unit-specific instructions. You may also need to move your washer for better access.
Follow the steps outlined below to reverse the door orientation on several popular brands of washers:
How to Reverse the Door on an Electrolux Washer
If you have an Electrolux front-loading washer with a reversible door, change the direction it opens by following these steps:
- Remove the hinge screws.
- Lift the door away from the unit and separate connecting wires by sliding the black terminal cap out from the hinge plate.
- Separate the yellow wiring harness from the terminal cap.
- Unscrew the door lock and slowly pull the lock out of the opening, separating the yellow wiring harness from the lock.
- Reposition the hole cover so it covers the hole where the hinge was originally attached.
- Move the door lock to the other side of the washer and reconnect it.
- Reinstall the door lock.
- Remove the door screws and lift out the inner portion of the door.
- Rotate the door glass 180 degrees.
- Reattach the inner door, making sure everything lines up.
- Connect the terminal cap to the wiring harness on the opposite side of the unit.
- Connect the terminal cap to the washer’s hinge plate.
- Reattach the door on the other side of the washer.
More Related Articles:
- How to Move Your Clothes Dryer
- Should You Repair or Replace Your Clothing Dryer?
- Should You Repair or Replace Your Washing Machine?
- We Gotta Move These Refrigerators: A Step-by-Step Guide to Moving Your Fridge
- How to Move Heavy Furniture: 9 Tips and Techniques
How to Reverse the Door on a GE Washer
If you have a GE front-loading washer with a reversible door, follow these steps to change the door swing:
- Remove the washer door by unscrewing the hinge on the washer's face.
- Unscrew and remove the door hinge cover, and remove the hinge from the door.
- Remove the door striker, rotate it 180 degrees and reinstall it.
- Remove the door striker assembly and reinstall it on the opposite side of the unit.
- Reposition the door hinge on the opposite side of the washer and screw it on.
- Using your fingers, remove the terminal holder from the washer’s face and disconnect the pin connector.
- Remove the lock assembly and disconnect the pin connector. Reposition the assembly on the opposite side of your washer and reinstall it. You’ll need to use the lock bar that came with your unit.
- Reinstall the lock cover.
- Reconnect the pin connector and then install the terminal holder on the opposite side of the washer.
- Reinstall the washer door.
Once you’ve reversed the door, check to make sure it functions properly. You may then reconnect the power cord and run your washer to ensure proper operation. If you have a reversible-door washer manufactured by another brand, check your owner's manual for instructions on how to switch the door’s direction.
How Do You Reverse a Dryer Door?
Reversing the door-opening direction of a dryer is generally a straightforward process. To reverse the door on dryers made by most major manufacturers, do this:
- Unscrew the door hinge and remove the dryer door.
- Remove the screws from above and below the door latch on the machine’s opposite side.
- Reattach the door in the preferred position.
- Reinstall the latch.
For safety, always unplug your dryer before attempting door reversal, and refer to your owner’s manual for unit-specific instructions.