Over 19,000 Log Splitters with Briggs & Stratton Engines Recalled Due To Injury Risk
Briggs & Stratton is recalling 19,630 log splitters with Briggs & Stratton engines due to an injury risk. If you purchased a YTL, Longli or TIYA log splitter between March 2016 and February 2021, you’ll want to check whether it’s affected by this recall.
This May Also Interest You: Broken Wrists Cited in Recall of 10,000 Log Splitters With Briggs & Stratton Engines
The Consumer Product Safety Commission is warning purchasers that some log splitters with Briggs & Stratton 250cc engines may pose an injury hazard to the operator. According to the May 12 recall alert: “An incorrect engine ignition coil and flywheel can lead to hard starting and engine kick back.” Briggs & Stratton is aware of two incidents, both of which resulted in broken wrists.
This recall affects the following brands and models of log splitters:
- Black Diamond: Model number BDBS32T - 32 ton and YTL-015-134 - 30 ton
- Crimson: Model number YTL-590-012 - 32 ton
- Lumberjack: Model number YTL-007-414
- Performance Built: Model number YTL-007-308 and YTL-016-476 - 30 ton
- Brute: Model numbers YTL-140-701 - 30 ton and YTL-140-473 - 35 ton
- Country Pro: Model number YTL-019-880
- Boss: Model number WD32T
- Oregon: Model 3000 Series - 30 ton
These log splitters are powered by Briggs & Stratton engines that have model number 15T232-0011-F8 with serial numbers 160331883074 through 2012073736714, or model number 15T232-1850-F1 with serial numbers 2004260782583 through 2012284118417. You can find the model number on the engine’s valve cover. The serial number is located on the blower housing cover.
According to the Wauwatosa, Wis.-based manufacturer, the log splitters were sold for $1,400 at several retailers nationwide, including D&B Supply Co., Fleet Farm, Lowe’s and Menards. Find the full list of retailers here. Additionally, 362 units were sold in Canada. The engines were manufactured in China.
If your log splitter falls under this recall, stop using it immediately and contact a Briggs & Stratton dealer for a free inspection and repair. To find an authorized dealer near you, use this locator. You can also call 800-999-9444 for assistance or visit the company’s recalls page. For more consumer product safety information, go to cpsc.gov.
More Related Articles:
- Burn Injuries Cited in Water Removal Pump Recall by Scott Fetzer Consumer Brands
- Fire Risk Prompts Recall of Goal Zero Power Cables
- Concussion, Broken Bones, Eye and Mouth Injury Risk: 1 Million Greenworks, Powerworks Pressure Washer Spray Guns Recalled
- Shock Hazard Sparks Recall of 25,000 National Presto Smokers
- In Case You Mist It: HD Hudson Recalls Garden Sprayers Due to Fire Risk