How Much Does It Cost to Install or Replace a Shower Pan?
Installing a Shower Pan at a Glance
- Average installation cost: $1,550
- Mud-set shower pan installation: $2,000+
- Price range: $1,000-$2,000
Installing a new shower pan is a good way to give your existing shower a new lease on life. It can improve the look of your bathroom, reduce or prevent leaks and make taking a shower feel more luxurious, too.
This May Also Interest You: How to Install a Shower Pan
The cost to install a new shower pan can vary depending on the type of pan you choose and whether you're replacing an existing one or building a new shower. Here’s a cost breakdown.
How Much Does Shower Pan Replacement Cost?
If you're considering having a new shower installed or even just upgrading an old one, it's worth paying attention to the shower pan. According to Porch.com, the average cost to install a shower pan is about $1,550 for both labor and materials.
Typical costs can range from about $1,000 to $2,000, depending on where you live and the type of shower pan you choose. Homeowners should remember that the shower pan is just one part of the job; if you're considering a full shower remodel, you may incur additional costs such as the showerhead and plumbing.
How Much Does It Cost to Install a Tile Shower Pan?
In general, the cost to install tile shower pans is higher than that of installing a standard pan. Each type of shower pan has its own benefits and downsides:
- Tile-ready shower pans are more expensive, but they’re the most customizable and visually appealing.
- Fiberglass pans are more affordable but may scratch or fade more easily.
- Acrylic costs slightly more than fiberglass but is more durable and hardwearing.
- Hot mop shower pans cost relatively little and offer very good waterproofing but are more functional than fashionable.
- Mud-set shower pans are more costly, but they can be used as a base for tiles, too.
Fiberglass and acrylic shower pans will be the cheapest to install. To install a mud-set shower pan, homeowners can expect to pay around $2,000, or even more if the plan is to use the cement as a base for tiles rather than a functional pan in its own right.
The cost to install shower pans will also be influenced by how much preparatory work is required. Removing an old, tired-looking pan to install a new one will cost less than installing an entirely new pan in a bathroom that has not been tiled and prepared to accept a shower.
More Related Articles:
- How to Replace a Shower Handle
- How to Tile a Shower in 7 Steps
- Showerhead Stuck? Here’s How to Remove It
- How Much Does It Cost to Replace a Showerhead?
- How to Install Shower Doors: A Step-by-Step Guide
What Impacts the Cost to Install Shower Pans?
Shower pan replacement costs can be impacted by several things, including the size of the shower and whether there's other work to be done at the same time. Mudrooms or wet rooms cost more than standard trays. In most cases, installing a shower pan is part of a wider shower installation including tiles, a glass door, plumbing and more, so the cost of the shower pan itself may be wrapped up in a broader estimate from your contractor.