How Much Does It Cost to Remodel a Kitchen?
Kitchen Remodel Costs at a Glance
- Budget remodel: $10,000-$20,000 (CAD 12,800-CAD 25,500)
- Mid-range remodel: $13,000 and $42,000 (CAD 16,600 and CAD 53,700)
- High-end remodel: $50,000 to $100,000 (CAD 64,000 to CAD 128,000)
The kitchen is the powerhouse of your home. You use it multiple times a day, and you’re constantly dirtying and cleaning it. All this use can make even the smallest design flaw seem unbearable. When you have to open and close that sticky drawer or reset the smoke alarm every time you use the stove because you don’t have a range hood, it's understandable you might be annoyed.
This May Also Interest You: How Much Do Granite Countertops Cost?
If this sounds like you, you’re probably thinking about remodeling your kitchen, and you’re probably wondering what a kitchen remodel costs. (We’ve got you covered.)
How Much Should You Budget for Kitchen Upgrades?
To get an accurate idea of what your kitchen remodel will cost based on the scope of the project, you’ll need to get a number of estimates from local contractors. For large projects, you may want to hire a design-build contractor who will take you through the entire design and engineering process from start to finish. Or, if you just want to upgrade a few key elements, you might be able to remodel your kitchen for a small budget on your own.
Average Total Cost for a Budget Remodel
If you need a quick-fix kitchen upgrade, have a small floor plan or are okay with compromising on finishes and appliance costs, you could spend between $10,000 and $20,000 (CAD 12,800 and CAD 25,500) on a kitchen remodel and change the look, usability and feel of your space. This is perfect if you just need a facelift for your current kitchen and don’t have the budget or the flexibility to do a major renovation.
With a small kitchen renovation, you can expect to:
- Replace your kitchen cabinets with engineered stock options. Costs average $1,000 to $5,000 (CAD 1,300 to CAD 6,400). If your current cabinets are in good shape, you could simply reface them to completely change their look at a cost of $800 to $3,000 (CAD 1,000 to CAD 3,800).
- Add a new countertop with laminate or tile at a cost of $30 to $50 (CAD 38 to CAD 64) per square foot.
- Replace flooring with vinyl or laminate, which costs $1 to $6 (CAD 1.30 to CAD 7.70) per square foot.
- Keep your original appliances or replace one for less than $1,000 (CAD 1,300). A new fridge or range could completely change the functionality of your space and budget options are $500 to $1,000 (CAD 640 to CAD 1,300).
- Retain the original layout of the kitchen for free. If you’re happy with the layout of your kitchen, you can save a ton of money by simply not removing walls or moving plumbing.
Average Total Cost for a Mid-Range Remodel
According to HGTV, the average cost to remodel a kitchen in the U.S. is around $21,000 (CAD 26,800), with most homeowners spending between $13,000 and $42,000 (CAD 16,600 and CAD 53,700) on an average-sized kitchen.
An average remodel might include:
- Higher-end cabinets like semi-custom or American-made options at $5,000 to $10,000 (CAD 6,400 to CAD 12,800).
- Engineered stone countertops like durable granite or quartz for $2,000 to $5,000 (CAD 2,600 to CAD 6,400).
- New flooring. If you’re flooring a large kitchen, you might want to stick with tile or laminate to keep costs down; average prices are $3 to $15 (CAD 4 to CAD 19) per square foot.
- New appliances. Choose mid-range appliances or upgrade one appliance to professional-grade and spend between $3,000 and $5,000 (CAD 3,800 and CAD 6,400).
- New sink and faucet. Stainless steel sinks are less expensive than large ceramic farmhouse style sinks, but you can shop budget options that range from $200 to $1,000 (CAD 250 to CAD 1,300).
- Installing new tile backsplash. Consider only tiling around the sink and range to keep costs down with this job, which could range from $200 to $500 (CAD 250 to CAD 640).
- More flexibility in your design. If you want to remove a wall or change the location of your stove, you can budget more for labor and materials. Consider hiring a designer or a design-build contractor to maximize the use of your space.
Average Total Cost for a High-End Remodel
If you have a large kitchen or plan to live in your house for at least the next 15 to 20 years, you may want to spend a little more on your kitchen renovation. A high-end kitchen remodel will set you back $50,000 to $100,000 (CAD 64,000 to CAD 128,000) or more, depending on the scope of your project.
- New, high-end appliances. Treat yourself to a custom built-in range hood, double ovens and professional-grade range. The price for each may be $5,000 (CAD 6,400) or more.
- Custom American-made cabinets that include all the bells and whistles of convenience and functionality can run you $10,000 (CAD 12,800) or more.
- High-end hardwood flooring is the loveliest in large upscale kitchens and can even increase the value of your home. It may run you $5 to $15 (CAD 6.40 to $19) per square foot.
- Stone countertops like marble may be fussier in terms of maintenance than engineered countertops, but they’re the luxury option at $5,000 to $10,000 (CAD 6,400 to CAD 12,800).
- Complete restructuring and layout change. With a larger budget, you can take out walls, move appliances or move doors and windows in your kitchen.
Cheap Kitchen Renovation Ideas
If your kitchen just needs a small appliance or countertop upgrade, you could spend less than $1,000 (CAD 1,300) and still completely transform your kitchen in a weekend by just upgrading a few choice things.
- Reface cabinets: Cabinet refacing is cheap and easy and can completely change the look of your space. Costs may run $800 to $3,000 (CAD 1,000 to CAD 3,800).
- Replace appliances: You could replace a single appliance for $500 to $1,000 (CAD 640 to CAD 1,300) and upgrade a dysfunctional kitchen.
- Replace cabinet knobs and pulls: You touch these many times a day, so make sure it counts and replace them with lovely pulls to change the look of your space. You can spend a few dollars to a couple hundred, depending on how many pulls you replace and what products you choose.
- Install a tile backsplash or use peel and stick tiles to renovate your kitchen without hiring a tiler. Costs may be $200 to $500 (CAD 250 to CAD 640).
- Install new lighting: Just adding a few new fixtures or replacing old ones to brighten up your space can revitalize the kitchen and make it more usable for around $100 to $500 (CAD 130 to CAD 640).
- Paint: Updating your kitchen with a new coat of paint is a cheap and easy way to completely refresh your space. Consider a peel-and-stick wallpaper on your cabinet doors for a big design shift at a cost of $200 to $800 (CAD 250 to CAD 1,000).