Can You Hire Someone to Decorate Your Home for the Holidays — and How Much Does It Cost?
Holiday Decorating Service Costs at a Glance
- Light installation (decorator provides lights): $200-$400
- Light installation (you provide lights): $65-$85 per hour
- Lights: $10-$30 per strand
- Light takedown fee: $100-$200
- Total lighting cost: $200-$1,000+
- Interior decorating service: $500-$2,500
There's something magical about twinkling strings of lights and perfectly placed holiday decorations. What's not so magical is the work of installing them. From dealing with frozen gutters when hanging lights to finding time to decorate, doing the decorations yourself can be a hassle.
This May Also Interest You: Post-Lockdown Parties: Outfit Your Outdoor Space for All-Weather Entertainment
Some homeowners choose holiday decorating services to get the festive look without the work. But how much does it cost?
What Does a Holiday Decorator Do?
Holiday decorators offer a variety of services. Many companies hang exterior holiday lights, either providing the lights for you or installing lights you purchase separately. You can also find holiday decorating services to deck out your interior spaces. They help you select the right lights and decorations, install them and help you take them down after the festive season.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Holiday Decorator?
HowMuch.net says the cost of holiday decorating services to install lights on your home costs an average of $200 to $400 for a 1,500-square-foot house. This cost includes the lights provided by the company, plus the installation and take-down costs.
If you provide the lights, expect to pay $65 to $85 per hour, with projects typically taking half a day. The take-down fee is usually between $100 and $200. You'll also have the cost of the lights, usually between $10 and $30 per strand. Depending on the size of your home and which option you choose, your cost could range from $200 to $1,000 or more.
You can also hire holiday decorating services to turn your interior into a winter wonderland. These decorators can help you style your tree so you have a beautiful spot for your carefully selected presents. They’ll also decorate with wreaths, garlands and other decorations. The typical price range is between $500 and $2,500, according to Bob Vila.
Factors That Influence the Cost of Holiday Decorating Services
The cost of holiday decorating services can vary significantly based on what you want. Here are some factors that influence the price:
- Home size: A large home increases the cost because you need more lights to cover it. The installation takes longer, which increases the labor costs.
- Decoration selection: Exterior light installation typically includes white LED lights. If you choose upgraded lights, the total cost increases.
- Extent of decorations: A simple strand of lights around the roofline of your home is usually on the lower end of the range. If you want lights covering all your trees and bushes or interior decorations throughout the home, expect to pay more.
- Home and landscaping: Two-story homes often cost more because of the height. The company might also charge more if you have extensive landscaping around your home, which makes it more difficult to reach the house to install the lights.
More Related Articles:
- 5 Reasons to Remove Your Window Screens for Winter
- Digging Out: 6 Things Homeowners Should Do Right After a Blizzard
- How to Winterize a House: Your No-Chill Checklist
- Prevent Frozen Pipe Problems by Knowing These Things Down Cold
- How Much Is Too Much? Here’s a Guide to How Much Snow Your Roof or Deck Can Hold
Benefits of Hiring a Holiday Decorator
Why should you hire a holiday decorator? You can DIY holiday decorations, but you might find it's worth the money to hire someone. Here are some reasons to consider it:
- Time savings: Hanging lights and holiday decorations takes hours. Hiring a decorating service leaves you more time to handle home maintenance tasks or shopping.
- Professional touch: Professionals know what looks good and have a variety of ideas to match any style.
- Safety: Climbing a ladder to hang decorations is risky. Professional decorating services have the right equipment and experience to install decorations safely.
- Less clutter: When you use the company's decorations, you don't have to find storage space for holiday decorations.