5 Home Improvement Resolutions for the New Year
Each year, I try to get into the holiday spirit and not turn into a major Grinch. (Watching Hallmark Christmas movies helps put me in the mood.) But, let’s be honest, the holiday season is demanding. All the shopping, wrapping, decorating, cleaning, cooking, baking, hosting and kid-wrangling — it’s enough to make me feel like taking a whole year off to live on a cruise ship. (What about the kids, you ask? I’ll send ‘em to Hogwarts!)
But there’s something about the dawn of a new decade that excites and motivates me. In the new year, I’d really like to reinvest in my home and make some small fixes that I know could make a huge difference.
As much as I would love to become an Insta-famous home renovation hero in 2020, I think I’ll stick to a few more manageable New Year’s resolutions for home improvement.
Here are five New Year’s resolutions I’m following to make my home happier and healthier in 2020.
Now, repeat after me …
1. I will take home safety seriously.
I’m putting safety first in 2020 — and you can, too. In January:
- Review the home safety guidance published by the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- Check that all of your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working.
- Go over fire safety essentials with your family.
- Establish an emergency plan if you haven’t already.
- Install a smart home security system for increased security and peace of mind.
2. I will finish those pesky little repairs I’ve been putting off.
If you’re not planning any major renovations for 2020, use the time to tackle all those fussy little home maintenance projects you’ve been putting off since 2009. Make a plan to accomplish your top to-dos over one productive weekend — it’ll be a huge weight off your shoulders.
For my family, that means cleaning out the closets, patching a hole in the basement drywall and straightening out our wonky mailbox. Realtor.com also recommends a few minor home decor upgrades that can make a massive difference, like swapping out your old cabinet hardware and faucet for shiny new ones.
3. I will make energy efficient upgrades around my home.
- Seal your doors and windows with new weather stripping.
- Put low-flow showerheads into your bathrooms to cut down on water consumption.
- Swap out all of your old lightbulbs to LEDs.
- Keep your heating and cooling in check with a smart thermostat.
4. I will encourage togetherness with new furniture layouts.
You don’t need to buy new stuff all the time to refresh your space. In 2020, rearrange your rooms to encourage family bonding.
Instead of having your sectional point directly at the TV, face seating inwards to facilitate conversation and family cuddle time. HGTV recommends including low, kid-friendly play surfaces in your living room, too, so little ones can play freely — and you can relax about your nice coffee table.
Put some bar stools and a smart hub in the kitchen to bring the family together during dinner prep time. Turn on your favorite sing-along playlist and grab a slotted spoon “microphone” to make kitchen clean-up more fun with your significant other.
5. I will protect my investments with a home warranty.
We’ve all been there, a broken kitchen appliance, a plumbing disaster in the bathroom, an HVAC failure. It can bring home life to a standstill.
You spent enough time in 2019 keeping your appliances and home systems clean and operational. Why not show the same level of care in 2020 by being prepared for the unexpected with a home repair plan or home warranty plan?
Start the new year off right — learn more about how a variety of plans from HomeServe can offset the costs of covered repairs.