How to replace a light switch
Changing a light switch is one the easiest electrical jobs you can do, but where should you start? Here’s my quick guide to simple light switch swapping…
1. Isolate the lighting circuit and test it’s dead with an approved voltage tester.
2. Remove the faceplate from the wall and take a picture of the wiring (it’ll come in handy later)
3. Keep hold of your original screws as you may have to re-use them.
4. Unscrew the small screws from the back of the light switch to release the wires.
5. Take the new light switch and reverse the process you’ve just done. I told you that wire photo would be a handy reference, didn’t I?
6. Tighten the small screws and reattach the faceplate to the wall.
7. Flick the circuit back on and test your new switch.
So there you have it, a light switch change that’s so easy anyone could do it! But if it’s not something you fancy trying yourself, I’m always on hand to do the hard work for you.