Top 5 plumbing problems in old homes
With age comes maintenance and your home’s plumbing system is no different. Here are my top 5 plumbing problems to watch out for if you live in an old house…
1. Old piping: If your pipes are made from lead, galvanised steel or polybutylene, it’s worth considering updating them to help fend off potential issues.
2. Pipe bellies: Houses move over time and that means our underground pipes shift too, causing them to form a “belly”. If you’ve not had them looked at before, now’s the time.
3. Failing sewer pipe: If your home has been remodelled or you’re thinking of making a change, look out for your sewer line – that’s one thing you don’t want any surprises from.
4. Outdated fixtures and connections: Nothing lasts forever, even your plumbing fittings. Opt for an annual inspection by an expert plumber to keep on top of wear and tear.
5. Bad repairs: We’ve all seen a make-do fix or two in our time, so be sure to check that any odd jobs from before you moved in are still up to standard.
When it comes to pulling the plug on plumbing problems, we’ve got you. There’s even a more in-depth article, if you fancy finding out more.