When you get a new boiler installed, you should also get a manufacturer-backed warranty as part of your installation package. Below we outline the benefits of having a boiler warranty and provide you with information on how you can ensure that it is kept valid.
What is a boiler warranty?
Boiler warranties are designed to provide you with an added sense of peace of mind in knowing that your boiler is covered in the event of a breakdown or fault. If a fault or breakdown occurs with your boiler during its warranty period, the manufacturer should organise a repair or replacement.
What does my boiler warranty cover?
Different manufacturers offer different warranty packages. Thus, an Ideal boiler warranty may cover different factors compared to a Vaillant boiler warranty. Generally, a boiler warranty will cover certain parts of your boiler – you should review the warranty documents sent to you by your manufacturer to find out what exactly is included in your warranty. These should have been sent when your boiler was first installed.
Common boiler warranty terms and conditions
As previously mentioned, different boiler brands will offer different boiler warranties. However, here are some common boiler warranty terms and conditions:
- The boiler must be installed by a Gas Safe registered engineer – This is to ensure that it is installed professionally and safely.
- The warranty must be registered with the manufacturer within the first 30 days of installation. Some installers, such as HomeServe, offer to register your boiler warranty for you. However, it is always recommended that you confirm that this has been done.
- A boiler service must be conducted on a yearly basis by a Gas Safe registered engineer – This is to ensure that the boiler is being maintained properly and functioning safely and efficiently. Failing to do this could invalidate your warranty. A record of the service should be entered into the manufacturer’s installation manual.
- Only manufacturer approved parts may be used during repairs.
How long do boiler warranties last?
The length of your boiler warranty will depend on factors such as the brand and model of the boiler you have installed. Some companies also offer extended warranty options. For example, HomeServe offer extended warranties of up to 10 years on Worcester Bosch and Ideal boilers*.
Below are some links to pages that provide general warranty information for some popular boiler brands. You should review your boiler’s warranty documents to confirm how long your specific boiler warranty will remain valid.
- Guide to Worcester Bosch’s boiler warranty & guarantees
- Guide to Ideal’s boiler warranty and guarantees
- Guide to Vokera’s boiler warranty and guarantees
- Guide to Baxi’s boiler warranty and guarantees
What is the difference between a boiler warranty & a boiler policy?
The main difference between a boiler warranty and a boiler policy is that a warranty covers solely your boiler, whilst a policy is designed to cover your entire central heating system. For instance, if you developed an issue with your heating system’s pipework which was affecting your home heating, your boiler warranty would not cover this. However, if you had policy cover, your provider would be able to organise a repair for you. Visit our page on boiler policies to find out more.
If you’d like to find out about the benefits of a boiler service, visit our 5 Reasons to book an annual service page.
*Subject to an annual service at the customer’s expense. Warranty extension from 5-years to 10-years only available on Worcester Bosch and Ideal gas boilers and may be subject to an additional charge.