Gas Central Heating

Worried about the risk of pipe problems, leaky radiators or a total boiler breakdown? Relax - we’ve got you covered

per month in your first year
Annual price : £162
Excess : £60
Your excess is the amount you’ll have to pay upfront each time you make a claim.
The price of your cover will increase after the first year. Customers in their second year who choose to renew now will pay £15 a month (£180 for the year) provided no claims have been made. 
Apply now

This insurance is for

  • Homeowners whose properties are heated with natural gas
  • People who want cover for their home’s gas boiler and central heating

What's covered

The main things you can claim for

  • Boiler breakdown leading to loss of heat and hot water
  • Repairs to your boiler’s controls and components
  • Repair of a leak inside your central heating system
  • A leaking gas supply pipe

What isn't covered

The main exclusions

  • The gas pipe leading into your meter
  • Plumbing and drainage problems

Let’s get started

Frequently asked questions

  • Am I eligible for this insurance?

    • This insurance is only for homeowners.

      It doesn’t include protection for mobile homes or park homes. Business premises and council and housing association properties cannot be covered.

      The boiler(s) at your home must have a power input of less than 70 KW/hr and be fired by natural gas (not LPG, electricity or oil), and gas supply pipes must be 35mm or less in diameter.

  • What information will I need to buy this insurance?

    • To make buying your cover as simple as possible, please make sure you have the following information to hand:

      • Details of the house, bungalow or flat you want to cover
      • Details of how it is heated (for example, the make of your boiler)
      • A valid email address
      • The bank details of whoever will pay for the insurance.
  • What happens if I change my mind?

    • There is a cancellation period that begins at the same time as your cover. This is shown in your Policy Schedule as the Cancellation Period.

      If you cancel your cover during the cancellation period and have not made a claim, you will receive a full refund.

      If you have made a claim, you will receive a refund less an amount for the number of days which you have been on cover.

      If you cancel after the cancellation period and have not made a claim, you will receive a refund less an amount for the number of days you have been on cover.

      If you have made a claim, you will be required to pay any remaining payments due for the term of your policy.

      See the terms and conditions of your policy for more information on cancellation.

  • When will I be able to make my first claim?

    • Once your policy is set up, there’ll be an initial 28 day exclusion period during which you will not be able to claim (with the exception of the gas boiler element, where your boiler must pass the boiler health check before HomeServe can progress any claim you might make).

      Take a look at the terms and conditions of your policy for full details.

  • When and how will I have to pay my excess?

    • You will have to pay £60 for each claim you make. We’ll need this payment before your claim can be progressed.

      We can only accept payment using the following cards: MasterCard, Maestro, Visa or Visa Delta.

      Please read the terms and conditions of your policy for full details.

  • What’s a boiler health check, and why does my boiler need one?

    • Your boiler will be given a health check within the first year you’re covered by HomeServe. This is an initial inspection during which a Gas Safe registered engineer will check your boiler to ensure it is safe and can be insured.

      Your boiler must pass this health check before any boiler insurance claims you make can be progressed.

      Your boiler health check must be booked or completed within your first 90 days as a HomeServe customer, and it’s easy to arrange your appointment online.

      If you move house, you must let us know so that we can organise for a boiler health check to be carried out at your new home. This will need to be done before any further insurance claims can be made.

      Please note that in your first year with HomeServe, your boiler health check and boiler service will be carried out during the same appointment even though they are separate inspections. For more information, read our guide to the differences between a boiler health check and a boiler service.

  • What if I do want a FREE Boiler Service?

  • What if I need a repair that isn’t covered by my insurance?

    • Don’t worry. HomeServe’s one off repairs team can help!

      We offer a range of fixed price services that will help keep your home running smoothly. All our repairs are carried out by HomeServe approved experts, and it’s simple and quick to book your repair online.

  • Are there types of gas heating systems this insurance won’t cover?

    • Yes. Homeowners whose properties are heated by dual purpose boilers, a warm air heating system, combination cylinders or thermal storage units are not eligible to buy this cover.

  • What if I suspect I have a gas leak?

    • If you think you have a gas leak, call the National Gas Emergency Service immediately on 0800 111 999.

  • What happens if my boiler is beyond economical repair (BER)?

    • In the first year after purchasing gas boiler cover, or if you move home after six months of cover:

      • If the boiler is BER and under seven years of age, we will replace it
      • If the boiler is over seven years of age, we will source, replace and install a new boiler, but you will be required to pay for the installation costs.
  • What happens after I’ve had my cover for a year?

    • The price of your insurance will increase when it’s renewed for a second year.

      Customers in their second year who choose to renew now will pay £15 a month (£180 for the year) for Gas Central Heating cover, provided they have made no claims.

      Your cover will automatically renew after a year unless you tell us you don’t want it to.

  • Will I have to pay any extra fees or charges?

    • No. You only have to pay your insurance premium and - in the event you make a claim - your excess.

      Our prices include all fees and Insurance Premium Tax (IPT).

  • Who provides this insurance?

    • This cover is sold, arranged and administered by HomeServe and underwritten by Aviva Insurance Limited. Aviva Insurance Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.

      Aviva Insurance Limited is registered in Scotland as company number 2116. Its registered address is:

      PH2 0NH.

      HomeServe is an insurance intermediary and arranges and administers cover on behalf of the underwriter. HomeServe is a trading name of HomeServe Membership Limited, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for general insurance and credit broking activities, under firm reference number 312518.

      Our registered address is:

      Cable Drive,
      West Midlands,
      WS2 7BN.

      HomeServe Membership Limited is registered in England as company number 2770612. Our VAT registration number is GB559669669.

      The regulatory status of Aviva Insurance Limited and HomeServe can be checked on the Financial Conduct Authority’s Financial Services Register.

  • Where can I find the product documents and terms and conditions that relate to my cover?

Looking for something different?

We offer a range of options, so you can pick the one that works for you

Find the right cover

Unsure about something?

No problem! We’re always happy to help

Get in touch