When renting a property, there are many hazards such as faulty appliances or poor gas fittings that could be harmful. While it’s a landlord’s legal responsibility to maintain the gas appliances within your home, there are several things you could do as a tenant to help ensure your safety.


Get a new boiler quote   


Know your rights

In the UK, landlords are obligated to use a Gas Safe registered engineer to carry out annual safety checks and servicing on all your gas appliances and fittings.

An annual check by a Gas Safe registered engineer could help to make sure that your appliances are safe and fit for use. A yearly check is used to verify that an appliance is burning gas properly, that its fumes are being safely removed, and that all safety devices are in full working order. After the check, the engineer will typically provide a Gas Safety Record - your landlord or property owner should be able to provide you with a copy.

When you move into a property ensure that the current certificate is dated within 12-months, and if not, request an assessment.


Know your responsibilities

If you own any gas appliances that were not on the inventory when you first rented your home, you are responsible for ensuring that they are safe to use.

Nevertheless, your landlord will, in most cases, be responsible for the gas pipes and any chimneys or flues that serve your appliances.


Get a new boiler quote   


Choose the right person for the job

We know that when it comes to installing or repairing a boiler in your home, choosing the right person for the job is crucial. To avoid the risk of an inefficient boiler or faulty installation, selecting the right company and engineer is an important task. At HomeServe, we prioritise delivering a high level of customer service and care, and strive to conduct first class installations. If you need any additional advice to help you choose the right engineer for the job, head over to our handy guide.

If your annual gas safety check becomes due or if you need to arrange any repairs, always ensure that a Gas Safe registered engineer is used. Whether booked by yourself or by your landlord, you should ask to see the engineer’s ID before they enter your property. On one side, you should be able to identify their photo and the Gas Safe Register logo of a yellow triangle; whilst on the reverse, you should see a list of the appliances they’re qualified to work on.


Know your responsibilities

When you move into your rented accommodation, your landlord should show you how to turn off the gas supply in the event of a gas leak or other emergency.

If you believe an appliance is faulty, stop using it and let your landlord know as soon as possible.


Maintain your carbon monoxide alarm

Carbon monoxide is colourless, tasteless, odourless and poisonous, making it a critical danger in your home. It is produced by the incomplete burning of gas, oil, wood and coal. It’s therefore crucial to make sure that preventative measures are taken to lower this risk. One of the main ways to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning is to get regular checks by Gas Safe registered engineers for your appliances.

Another great preventative measure is to invest in an audible carbon monoxide alarm, which could alert you to the presence of CO in your home and potentially save your life. When purchasing an alarm, make sure it complies with British Standard EN 50291 and carries a British or European approval mark, such as a Kitemark. It's always a good idea to regularly test your carbon monoxide alarm to ensure it's working effectively.


Get a new boiler quote   


The content on this page has been provided to you for your information only. Please check up to date rules, regulations, and relevant law to know your rights as a tenant and obligations as a landlord; seek professional advice and assistance as required.

Information and other materials on this website are not intended to constitute professional advice and should not be relied upon. Please see our Terms of Use for further details.