In our experience, boilers can last anywhere between 10 and 15 years old**. The lifespan of your boiler can depend on a number of factors, including the scale at which it is used and the model and brand of system that you select to have installed. At HomeServe, it is our goal to provide you with an energy-efficient, A-rated system that will keep your home warm for years to come.
Is your current heating system efficient enough to meet your needs?
Your boiler plays a key role in your household. It keeps you and your family warm and can influence how comfortable you are in your home. Below we list a few factors that you should consider when thinking about whether your boiler can meet your needs long-term.
• Boilers may become less efficient over time. We usually recommend that you start considering a new boiler when your current system is approaching 10 years old. An old and inefficient boiler may have to work harder to heat your home; whereas a new, efficient boiler could potentially save you up to £210 each year in energy bills*.
• Although some boilers may far out live a typical life expectancy, parts and spares may become unobtainable for older boiler models which may lead to a bigger problem if a repair is needed.
• Technology in the boiler industry is constantly developing, so a new boiler could not only be more energy-efficient, but could also incorporate any array of new features into your home. A new system could potentially be easier to use and could even look more aesthetically pleasing in your home.
• Having an annual service on your boiler could help to confirm whether your boiler is functioning efficiently or not. A service includes various tests on efficiency and performance, and also checks for any leaks or faults in your system. Regular servicing can be a good way to nip any faults in the bud early and may be one of the requirements to keep your manufacturer warranty valid****.
• If the conditions of your home have changed significantly since your boiler was installed, the boiler may no longer be suitable to perform efficiently - it could struggle to supply the amount of heat and hot water that you require. For example, if you have had added more bathrooms or rooms through a house extension or loft conversion, then your boiler may require more power to operate to your new demands. Overworking a small boiler which was not designed to cope with these new high demands may cause the boiler to degrade more rapidly than usual. If you have had or are considering additional bathrooms, rooms or radiators in your home, it is best to keep in mind the impact this could have on your boiler and central heating system.
Some signs that your boiler could be coming to the end of its life may include (but are not limited to):
• Persistent breakdowns
• A high-cost repair is needed
• Flue problems
• Fuel efficiency and environmental pollution
• Boiler noise
Our experts could help you determine whether your boiler is efficient enough to provide the heating and hot-water you need. If you think that your home needs a new boiler, try our free online quote tool today. We also aim to offer a range of flexible finance options, so you could get a brand new, A-rated system installed and manage your payments to suit your budget***.
* Source: energysavingtrust.org.uk. Saving calculated when replacing G rated with A rated boiler in a semi-detached house.
** Based on 26187 people who enquired about a new boiler with Help-Link UK between 01/01/2017 and 24/01/2018; 14% had a boiler aged 0-10 years, 37% had a boiler aged 10-15 years, 21% had a boiler aged 15-20 years, 27% had a boiler aged over 20 years.
*** Credit is subject to status, affordability assessment and credit checks. Interest-free credit is available over 2 years on all boiler makes. Credit is also available across 36-120 months at 9.9% APR. Finance can be taken out with or without deposit and capital payments can be made at any time to reduce your loan.
****Subject to an annual service at the customer's expense. Warranty extension from 5-years to 7-years or 10-years only available on Worcester Bosch. Warranty extension from 5-years to 10-years available on Ideal Boilers. All warranty extensions subject to an additional charge.
This information has been supplied By Help-Link UK limited and has been produced for information purposes only and should not be used or relied upon as a substitute for professional advice by a suitably qualified engineer. Boiler replacement and repair is a complex procedure and matter, breakdowns and life expectancy of boilers are subject to multiple factors, not all of which are listed or considered above.