Some information has changed
Boiler Cover Reviews
Reviews completed by customers who've used their gas boiler or gas central heating policy
Gas Central Heating Breakdown Cover
Help protect your home's gas central heating system (including your gas boiler) against an unexpected breakdown or repair with Gas Central Heating Breakdown Cover.
Take out this policy and if you have a problem with your central heating, one of our approved Gas Safe™ registered engineers will be there to help get things sorted.
This policy is sold, arranged and administered by HomeServe and underwritten by Aviva Insurance Limited.
Please note: This policy does not include a boiler service. If you would like to take advantage of our free boiler service offer instead please click here.
- Gas boiler
- Gas central heating breakdown
While cover includes many things, there are some exclusions. Please refer to the Policy Summary.
Who can buy Gas Central Heating Breakdown Cover?
People who are
Landlords / tenants
People who live in
Houses, bungalows and flats
Mobile homes and bedsits
Homes heated with
For full eligibility information please see 'Are you eligible to apply?' in the important information section below.
Frequently asked questions
How do I apply for this policy?
To apply for this policy, please click 'Apply online' or call 0800 923 8010* and speak to a HomeServe agent.
To make the application process as smooth as possible, please make sure you have the following information to hand:
- Details of the property you want to cover
- A valid email address
- Type of heating
- Your boiler make
- Credit / debit card or bank details (for direct debit payments)
How soon after purchasing can I make a claim?
This policy has an initial 28 day exclusion period within which you will not be able to make a claim. Please see your policy documents for more details.
How do I make a claim?
First, check that your problem is covered by checking your policy documents.
If the incident or emergency is covered by your policy, please visit our claims page to find out how to register your claim or call 0800 923 8010.*
How does HomeServe vet its tradesmen?
We're careful to vet all HomeServe approved tradesmen. We do this by:
- Inspecting jobs upon completion
- Taking a copy of their Public Liability Certificate
- Validating their relevant trade certificates
- Getting them to agree to our Service Level Agreements and Key Performance Indicators
- Getting them to sign the HomeServe Health and Safety Statement.
Prices include all fees and Insurance Premium Tax (IPT).
Are you eligible to apply?
This policy is for homeowners only. Retail, commercial and other premises used for business are not eligible for this cover, and council and housing association tenants will not need this service. The property must be your permanent home and owned and solely occupied by you and your family as a private residence with no business use. Mobile homes, bedsits, sub-divided homes and let and sub-let properties are not covered.
The boiler at your property must have a power output of less than 60 KW/hr and be fired by natural gas (and not LPG, electric or oil). Your property must not be heated by dual purpose boilers, a warm air heating system, combination and unvented cylinders or thermal storage units.
Existing HomeServe customers
This first year price is only available to new Gas Central Heating Breakdown Cover customers through HomeServe. If you already have cover through HomeServe which includes plumbing, please check your Terms & Conditions before applying so you are not paying for cover you do not need. Alternatively call HomeServe to find out what other cover options are available to you.
What happens after the first year?
The price will increase at renewal. Currently customers in their second year are paying £166.56 for this policy provided they have made no claims. If you pay by Direct Debit or credit/debit card, excluding Maestro payments, your cover will automatically renew unless you tell HomeServe otherwise. If you choose any other method of payment you will be sent an invitation to renew prior to your renewal date.
Who provides this cover?
This policy is underwritten by Aviva Insurance Limited which is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Aviva Insurance Limited is registered in Scotland, company no. 2116 and the registered address is Pitheavlis, Perth, PH2 0NH.
This policy is sold, arranged and administered by HomeServe, which is a trading name of HomeServe Membership Limited, Cable Drive, Walsall, WS2 7BN (registered in England company no. 2770612) which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) for insurance mediation activity under Financial Services Register number 312518. The regulatory status of Aviva Insurance Limited and HomeServe can be checked by visiting the FCA’s website www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768 (call rates may vary).
*Calls may be recorded for quality control and training purposes. Calls to 0800 numbers are free from landlines and mobile phones, and will not be taken from your mobile phone inclusive call minutes. Lines are open 8am to 8pm weekdays, 8am to 4pm Saturday and 10am to 4pm Sunday.
If you suffer a gas leak, you should first call the National Gas Emergency Service immediately on 0800 111 999.
Terms and Conditions of voucher offer
- The offer is available with new policy purchases of Gas Central Heating Breakdown Cover, purchased on homeserve.com between 24th November 2015 and 9am on 22nd December 2015. The full list of eligible products include:
- Gas Central Heating Breakdown Cover (£95 excess variant at £6 per month)
- Gas Central Heating Breakdown Cover (£50 excess variant at £8.50 per month)
- Gas Central Heating Breakdown Cover (£0 excess variant at £17 per month)
- The offer is not available for purchases of Gas Central Heating Breakdown Cover with an Annual Boiler Service
- Only one offer per household
- Not to be used in conjunction with any other offer
- If you cancel your policy within the first 28 days you will not receive the voucher
- The voucher will be sent by Royal Mail recorded delivery after the first 28 days of the policy start date and within 8 weeks
- No cash alternative will be offered
- HomeServe staff are not eligible for this offer
- HomeServe reserves the right to withdraw this offer at any time
- Separate terms and conditions apply for the vouchers as specified by the retailer
- If HomeServe is not able to fulfil the voucher, an alternative voucher of equivalent value will be provided