Keep your upholstery furniture looking as good as new with these top tips.
Cleaning upholstery furniture
- Vacuum or brush gently to remove dust, watching out for delicate fringes or braids.
- Clean all upholstery at the same time to prevent irregular fading.
- Wipe wood or decorative facings with a damp cloth to remove dust.
- Thoroughly clean all upholstery at least once a year to prevent ingrained dirt, or get a professional upholstery cleaner in to do it for you.
Refitting upholstery after washing
- Avoid stretching zips when removing and replacing covers.
- To get the best fit, put the covers back on when they're slightly damp.
- Put the covers back on in the right order (arms, seat area, back and valance).
- If the covers need ironing, do this after they've been fitted and use a damp cloth over the material.
Upholstery maintenance tips
- Follow the manufacturer's cleaning and care instructions.
- Cut off any snags or loose ends and tuck them back in – never pull them.
- Seats are for sitting on – don't use them as a trampoline!
- Keep your pets off the furniture where possible.
- Use arm caps as this is the area that shows most wear.
- Swap the cushions around every week and plump them regularly.
- Avoid sitting on the edge of seat cushions as this could distort or damage them.
Important information regarding our DIY help and advice
We try to make the advice on our website (www.HomeServe.com) as useful and reliable as possible. However, the purpose of this advice section of the website is to provide homeowners and private landlords with general guidance and useful tips only. It doesn't necessarily deal with every important topic or cover every aspect of the topics with which it deals and might not be relevant or appropriate in all circumstances. It is not designed to provide professional advice or financial advice and should not be relied on as such. Click here to read the disclaimer in full.