Welcome to www.HomeServe.com (the 'Website'). We are HomeServe Membership Limited, a company registered in England under registration number 02770612 ('HomeServe', 'we', 'our' or 'us' for short). Our registered office is at Cable Drive, Walsall WS2 7BN and our parent company is HomeServe PLC which is registered at the same address under company number 02648297. Our registration number on the data protection register is Z7078512.
'You' and 'your' means you as a user of our Website for whatever purpose. Most people visiting our site will do so as an existing (or prospective) customer or to find out about and apply for jobs that are advertised in the recruitment section of the site.
Your personal information will be held and used in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 (the 'Act'). If you want to know what information we collect and hold about you please see the section regarding 'How Can You Access and Correct Your Information' below. HomeServe Membership Limited is the data controller of your information for the purposes of the Act.
What information do we collect?
When you visit our Website we generally collect two types of information about you; "Personal" and "Non-Personal".
As the name suggests, Personal information is about you as an individual. We ask you to provide us with Personal information when you apply for a product, request a service or register an interest on our recruitment pages. Here are some examples of the types of Personal information that we usually ask for:
- Telephone number(s)
- Date of birth
- Payment details (Direct Debit, credit/debit card number)
- Property type
- Boiler details (make and model – only applicable to heating policies)
- Email address
(Please note that this is not an exhaustive list).
This relates to information that is collected as you browse our Website. You cannot be identified as an individual from this type of information. Please see below for more details on how we collect and use this type of information.
How do we collect information about your visits to our Website?
Our Website utilises a standard technology called 'cookies' and also web server logs to collect information about how our Website is used. (Please see the explanation below, 'What are Cookies?' for further details about cookies). Information gathered through cookies and web server logs may include the date and time of visits, the pages viewed, time spent on our Website, and the websites visited just before and just after our Website. We or our subcontractors may also use small pieces of code called 'web beacons' or 'clear gifts' to determine which advertisements and promotions users have seen and how users responded to them.
What are cookies?
A cookie is a very small text document, which often includes an anonymous unique identifier. When you visit a website, that site's computer asks your computer for permission to store this file in a part of your hard drive specifically designated for cookies. Each website can send its own cookie to your browser if your browser's preferences allow it, but (to protect your privacy) your browser only permits a website to access the cookies it has already sent to you, not the cookies sent to you by other sites.
Cookies and HomeServe.com
You can read further information about the way cookies are used on HomeServe.com at the links below:
Further information on how to delete and control cookies on your computer is available from www.aboutcookies.org.
How do we use information we collect from cookies?
How do we use the information that you provide to us?
We use the information we collect in the following ways:
- To ensure that the content of our Website is presented in the most effective manner for you and your computer.
- To identify products or services for which you may be eligible and/or interested in.
- To deal with any applications for products or services that you make (which may include contacting you about them).
- To notify you about any changes to our products or services.
- For the purpose of administering your products and services, offering you renewals and training and statistical analysis, which may require us to pass your information to our group companies, underwriters of our policies and/or to our service providers.
- Providing you have given your consent (via an "opt-in" or "opt-out" when we collect the information), we may contact you with information about products, services and special offers that we feel may be of interest to you or ask you to participate in one of our customer satisfaction surveys.
We may pass your Information to other carefully selected third parties:
- To provide products and services you have asked for, which may include providing information to members of your household, your representatives and other concerned people (such as landlords).
- To our subcontractors or other parties that we may use to provide services to you in connection with our agreement with you.
- If we buy or sell any business or assets in which case we may disclose your information to the seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your Personal information to comply with any legal obligation or in order to enforce or apply our terms and conditions and other agreements or protect the rights, property, or safety of our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies, governmental departments and organisations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
- We have a number of 'affinity agreements' with third parties whereby they introduce our products and services to their customers. In those circumstances we will share details of the products and services that have been bought, and also liaise with them in respect of claims handling and on occasion to help resolve individual complaints.
You have the right to ask us not to process your Personal information for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (at the point at which you provide, or we collect, your Personal information) if we intend to use your Personal information for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any carefully selected third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to opt-out of receiving marketing material from us by ticking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your Information. You can also exercise this right at any time by writing to us at the address provided in the ‘How Can You Access and Correct Your Information’ below.
In addition, if you choose to correspond with us by email, we may retain the content of your email messages together with your email address and our responses.
How do we protect your information?
We do our best to maintain the highest standards of security, encrypting your Personal information using Secure Sockets Layer SSL, 128 bit encryption services, however even with this the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. For this reason, we request that you do not send Personal information to us by email. If you choose to use email, we cannot be responsible for loss or interception of it that is beyond our control; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information we will use strict procedures and security features to prevent unauthorised access.
How can you access and correct your information?
You may ask to receive a copy of the Personal information that we collect online and/or maintain in our database about you by writing to us at:
FAO: Data Protection Officer, Customer Relations Department,
We will require a small fee of £10 for providing this information and may require proof of your identity.
You may also ask us to correct any Personal information that we hold about you by writing to the same address and providing us with details of the inaccuracy.
What about other websites linked to this Website?
Where do we store your information?